30 September 2013

Back to quilting

When Autumn comes I feel the need to create, to make beautiful soft blankets in which to snuggle in the winter months. 
I love quilting. I love the feeling of taking small pieces and creating them into something bigger and more meaningful than their separate parts. 
I like that each step of quilting is different but there is also a great sense of repetition. 

I knew I wanted a new quilt to take up to Durham. 
I knew it needed to be heavy and warm as when you are paying your own bills, the heating won't be on much! 
I knew it needed to be fresh and light as my new room is in an attic and could easily look dark and den like. 


Beyond that I just went with the flow. I stuck to simplicity with little details. I used an accent thread for the first time when quilting this baby up and love the effect. I don't think I can go back to white cotton now.

I used the quilt as you go method again and like how neat it makes my quilt.
I was also super lazy with quilting the front to the back. I just put right sides together sewed around the edges and turned it inside out.

The backing is heavy twill so it didn't really need to be quilted to the front. I love the weight this gives to the quilt. 


As always I embroidered my name in the bottom corner of the quilt. You can just see my initials and the year.


This quilt turned out much bigger than I expected and I love that quilting still surprises me. I can't wait to participate in Fiona's friendship quilt and learn some new techniques and skills. In the next week I am also going to post a few tips and techniques for quilting on a budget.

What projects are you working on at the moment?

Blogging is sporadic at the moment as I am learning how to live in a house and getting used to being back in my favourite city. Thank you for still taking the time to read my blog even when I don't come and go as regularly on yours. 

15 comments:

debs14 said...

Love the idea of the contrast stitching. Another handy hint I've learned from you!
I see you are the first in the friendship quilt and I am itching to get started on my square for you!

Lizzie said...

Hi Abi, long time no "see"! I'm trying to catch up with my blog friends, then get started on some regular posts again...

LOVE this quilt - it looks very cosy and really pretty. Something great to have with you at Uni. The accent thread is so nice and the red ticking is cool... (in a cosy-nice-smart-and-well-chosen kind of way!).

scrappyjacky said...

Love the quilt,Abi....hope it keeps you nice and snug.

Karen said...

I just love this quilt---red is my favorite color and I love it with the yellow and white! I never "took" to quilting though I surely love the end result.

Beverly said...

I LOVE the accent thread color and I love the red and yellow combination, something I rarely see. You are part of the reason (or to be blamed, we'll see how the year plays out lol) that I taking part in the Friendship Quilt. Unfortunately being first you will truly get my beginning quilting, next September's recipient may fare better ;)

Sandra said...

I've never used a contrast thread when quilting, but if will now :) looks fabulous. I'm still enjoying making paper piecing hexi's, but I soon need to put them into a quilt :)

Sian said...

it looks so soft and warm and pretty. Bet it makse getting into bed every night a real pleasure

Miriam said...

This is so lovely Abi, I am not brave enough to use contrast thread, well done. Just take care of yourself and above all have fun. Post when you can, visit when you can.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I just love the colors of your quilt and the accent color stitching, Abi! So nice.

I'd love to see how you "quilt as you go" sometime. I had a blog friend (Rhona) show me via a Skype conversation one time and have completely forgotten how she did it. ~sigh~

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love the colors in this. The whites, yellows and then the pop of red. So fresh and lovely!
Rinda

alexa said...

You chose so well, Abi - it looks cosy and fresh at the same time and (with my Mumsy hat on) glad it's larger than you thought and will be perfect for wrapping around you from your shoulders to those cold toes. How about a matching hot water bottle cover?

Ruth said...

It's beautiful and should keep you toasty warm!
Do you know Elise Blaha Cripe's blog? She has a new quilting ecourse ... perhaps you could put it on your Christmas list? Here is the link: http://eliseblaha.typepad.com/golden/2013/10/get-quilty-the-ecourse-is-now-live.html

Sinead said...

Oh my goodness!! Abi, this is just amazing! I love love love the fabrics you chose and the contrast stitching. You have GOT to teach me how to quilt :D

Lou said...

oooh it turned out beautifully - just as i knew it would x

Anonymous said...

It looks great! I love the fabrics and colours you chose for it. It looks so nice and warm. I'll have to remember the bit about contrast thread. Right now my only project getting attention is the family trees but it's time to get fabric, thread, sewing machine & yarn and needles out I think.